The Psychological Support Office of the Politécnico da Guarda aims to contribute to the well-being and personal satisfaction of the entire academic community, with a view to the academic success of students. Besides specialized consultations, it develops several personal and collective psycho-pedagogical activities.
Its also seeks to develop, throughout the school year, in collaboration with Student Associations, other IPG Offices and external entities, a set of projects/activities oriented according to the following two axes:
PSYCHOLOGICAL SUPPORT AND PROMOTION OF HEALTH AND WELL-BEING
In this scope, the Office offers:
- Psychology Consultation – with weekly regularity.
- Actions to promote health and well-being behaviors – cycles of workshops including relaxation, mindfulness, hypnotherapy, laughter therapy, yoga, reiki.
- Prevention of substance abuse and other addictive behaviors – information, awareness, training and counseling actions to change attitudes and behaviors.
PSYCHO-PEDAGOGICAL SUPPORT AND PROMOTION OF ACADEMIC SUCCESS
The psycho-pedagogical support activities focus on three levels:
- Intervention at the group level – training sessions, workshops and projects to develop pedagogical and relational skills such as the “Sharing Space”, the “Difference Space” and “Peer Mentoring”.
- Intervention at individual level – support to study organization: study techniques and time management.
- Information through didactic material and IPGNews – themes of psychological and academic interest such as motivation, self-confidence, self-esteem, conflict management and interpersonal relationships.
Therapeutic space for individual intervention, weekly. The consultations are free of charge, with prior appointment required.
The clinical evaluation and intervention follow the Cognitive-Behavioral Model, with recourse also to other therapeutic approaches and techniques, namely Systemic Family Therapy, Ego-State Therapy and Clinical Hypnosis.
Main types of difficulties:
- Anxiety situations, assessment anxiety in exams, phobias and panic.
- Depressive/depression states.
- Situations of loss/grief.
- Social/relational difficulties (peers, family, community).
- Identity and self-image problems, self-concept and self-esteem.
- Additive behaviors (eating, gambling, internet, and psychoactive substances).
Space directed to students during the course of their clinical internships. It aims to discuss, in a group, personal difficulties experienced during the internship, dealing with themes related to suffering and death, as well as related ethical questions.
Weekly. Enrollment required.
SPACE FOR DIFFERENCE
Information and support for teachers of students with special educational needs, concerning relational aspects and the teaching-learning process. Individual intervention with students identified as having SEN and requiring support. Awareness-raising activities for the entire academic community.
Mentoring program directed to students with the purpose of integrating the new student in the academic environment through his/her peers, students from more advanced years.
Monthly newsletter dedicated to students, where they can find support materials, useful for their academic life events promoted by IPG and the external community interviews with students and academic papers
Rua Soeiro Viegas, 6
Phone: (+351) 271 220 141