- Pedagogical and research components.
- Provision of services in Geotechnics and similar, whose nature transcends the response capacity of the regional market.
- Provide laboratory support to private entities involved in the execution of geotechnical works.
Head of the Geotechnical laboratories: Ana Antão and Carlos Rodrigues (email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org)
Laboratory support: Manuel Cairrão (email@example.com)
Secretariat: ESTG Services (271 220 164 or 271 220 120)
The Geotechnics Laboratory of Politécnico da Guarda can carry out a diverse set of geotechnical studies, namely:
- Geological-geotechnical characterization of earth and rock massifs.
- Laboratory tests for geotechnical characterization in soil mechanics and rock mechanics.
- Geotechnical prospection in situ for parameterization.
- Geotechnical studies for foundation design.
- Slope stability geotechnical studies.
- Geotechnical studies for the design of containment structures.
- Quality control of earthworks (landfills and excavations)
- Road pavement evaluation reports, conditions that influence the state of degradation of the roads.
- Architecture, Territorial Management Instruments and Spatial Planning
- Others, upon customer’s express request
Cost: A quote will be given according to the type of work to be carried out.
The Geotechnical Laboratories of the IPG bring together a wide range of equipment dedicated to the execution of in situ and laboratory tests in the geotechnical field. Here is a summary of some of the most significant tests:
Tests in Soil Mechanics
- Dynamic penetration test (DP’s) – DPL, DPM and DPSH.
- Dynamic penetration tests with SPT.
- Static penetration tests with seismic piezocone (SCPTu).
- Vane Test Assays.
- Tests with a Ménard pressure gauge – PMT.
- Tests with Marchetti dilatometer – DMT.
- Load tests with plate – PLT.
- Load tests with Screw –Plate (SP).
- Assays with SPT-Analyzer.
- Drilling with continuous mechanical auger.
- Soil sampling.
- Detection of groundwater levels in boreholes.
- Specific weight with sand bottle (LNEC E204).
- Soil compaction control by Rigidity and Module “in situ”; H-4140 GeoGaugeTM.
- Execution of tomographic seismic profiles with evaluation of the propagation speed of P and S waves and elastic parameters (E0, G0, ?)
- Granulometric Analysis by sieving (LNEC E239)
- Granulometric Analysis by Sedimentation and Sieving (LNEC E196)
- Consistency Limits (NP-143)
- Measurement of Specific Weights
- Measurement of Specific Weights of Solid Particles (NP 83)
- Measurement of water content (NP 84)
- Sand equivalent (LNEC E199)
- Measurement of methylene blue value
- Organic matter content (LNEC E201)
- Compaction Test (LNEC E197)
- CBR Test (LNEC E198)
- Classic oedometer test with diameters of 50, 75, 100 and 125 mm, with automatic registration
- Direct cutting tests in square box of 60×60 mm and 100x100mm, and circular with 100 mm in diameter, with automatic registration.
- Triaxial tests
- Equipment for specimens with diameters of: 50, 70 and 100 mm, with automatic data acquisition.
- Type tests: UU, CIU, CID, CK0U.
- Triaxial tests with internal instrumentation for specimens of 70 mm in diameter, with axial and radial deformation transducers, “Hall Effect” type and/or LVDT transducers.
- Triaxial tests with imposed stress path.
- Triaxial tests with imposed stress path, for specimens of 38 mm in diameter, with automatic control of the test and data acquisition.
- Permeability tests
- Constant or variable load and intact or compacted samples.
- Permeability tests in a triaxial chamber.
Laboratory Tests In The Field Of Rock Mechanics:
- Preparation of a rock specimen with a parallelepiped or cylindrical shape, with face grinding
- Macroscopic analysis of rock samples as well as petrographic analysis and description of aggregates (NP EN 932-3:2000)
- Microscopic analysis of thin slides under a polarizing microscope, with photographic equipment, without thin slide preparation (EN 12407:2000)
- Determination of ultrasound propagation speeds (according to the procedure proposed by ISRM and according to NP EN 14579:2007)
- Wear test in a wet environment “slake durability test”.
- Apparent and real density, porosity, moisture content and specific weight (according to Proc. ISRM (1999) and NP EN 13755:2006)
- Determination of the water absorption coefficient by capillarity in stone (NP EN 1925:2000)
- Uniaxial Compression Test (with load or deformation control) according to proc. ISRM (1999) and NP EN 1926:2000)
- Breaking voltage.
- Modulus of elasticity
- Diametric Compression Test
- Indirect tensile breaking stress
- Measurement of the flexural strength of rocky specimens (NP EN 13161:2006).
- Point Load Test (“Point Load Test”).
- Measurement of frost resistance of rocky specimens (NP EN 12371:2006).
- Measurement of the resistance to crystallization of salts in rocky specimens (NP EN 12370:2001).
- Measurement of frost/thaw resistance of rock aggregates (NP EN 1367-1:2003).
Laboratory and field tests in Soil and Groundwater Pollution
- Measurement of radon gas concentrations, temperature, humidity, and pressure in indoor environments under Law 79/2006 of 4 April.
- Measurement of piezometric levels in boreholes and groundwater wells with continuous monitoring of temperature and pressure through Solinst probe.
ÁGUAS DO ZÊZERE E CÔA SA,
ARL Construções S.A.
Associação Humanitária dos Bombeiros Voluntários de Loriga.
Bernardo & Bernardo, Consultores Associados, Lda.
BRITO & XAVIER, S.A,
Câmara Municipal da Guarda.
Câmara Municipal de Celorico da Beira
Câmara Municipal de Fornos de Algodres.
Câmara Municipal de Mangualde.
Câmara Municipal de S. João da Pesqueira.
Câmara Municipal de Seia.
Chupas & Morrão S.A.
Construções Gabriel Couto S.A.
Construtora Abrantina, S.A.
Cooperativa de Habitação Casa Jovem.
CPCF – Cipriano Pereira de Carvalho & Filhos
Domingos da Silva Teixeira – DST, SA.
ENAQUE – Engenharia e Arquitectura Lda.
ENFORCE – Engenharia da Energia, S.A.,
GEOPLANO AHERNE, SA.
Ginado S.A. – Produção e Comercialização de Têxteis.
GSG, Gabinete de Serviços Geotécnicos, Lda.
ICERR – Direcção de Estradas do Distrito da Guarda.
Instituto Pedro Nunes (Coimbra)
Isidro Pires da Silva, Lda.
Lambelho & Ramos Lda.
Manuel Rodrigues Gouveia S.A.
MOTA-ENGIL, ENGENHARIA E CONSTRUÇÃO, SA.
OLANO, Logistica do Frio, Lda.
PROENGEL – Projectos de Engenharia e Arquitectura Lda.
Ramos Catarino, S.A.
Rui Ribeiro, Construções, S.A.
Sociedade de Construções H. Hagen S.A.
Sociedade de Construções Soares de Costa S.A.
SOMAGUE Engenharia S.A.